Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Seductive One

La Rose: Organic Pink Rose, hibiscus flowers, orange peel steeped in white chocolate

Seduction is the muse behind my newest Valentine chocolate, La Rose. For me, our complex sense smell plays such an enormous part in the power of seduction! And what is more seducing and romantic than the delicious smelling flowers of Rosa gallica officinalis? I’ve read that impératrice Josephine consoled herself with old world roses at Château de Malmaison after sadly departing empereur Napoléon. For un poète, la rose is symbolic and represents love, more specifically “love’s passion and beauty and perishability”. Haven’t you read Christopher Marlowe’s love poem, "The Passionate Shepherd To His Love”?
“Come live with me, and be my love
…And I will make thee beds of roses…
And a thousand fragrant posies;
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle…

Behind all of this fragrant madness is a mild fixation of mine. After a recent (and long-awaited) trip to Grasse, France, I am besotted by “les nez” (perfumers, modern & Medieval) & lately I’ve begun a little experimenting with the art of making scents. The more I sense scents and their mysterious power, the more I seem to want use flowery notes in our chocolates.
Le chocolat, La Rose, is a second attempt to create a floral ganache that is balanced, yet intricate. Wlady & I used organic rose, orange flower water, and hibiscus flower to stain the white ganache and hibiscus powder to adorn the finished chocolate. This deep, reddish hibiscus powder might lightly stain your fingertips and lips and might also prickle your tongue a bit with lemony-tart flavor, but what power would there lie if a desire to guarantee the object of affection did not seduce?

No comments: