Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Julia

Oh Là Là Julia! Julia Child’s spirit dwells in some of us who dare to enrich our culinary skills with the precision, beauty and the art of France. Just like Julia, my senses flourished with the liveliness as spring after I set foot in France. The colorful macaroons, tiny chocolates, madeleines, Bordeaux wine, foie gras, and the elegant language all inked my life with such pleasure. And yes, like Julia, I found my (culinary) self there, too.

So naturally… j’adore Nora Ephron’s new film Julie & Julia, which relates Julia Child’s edible period in France; an experience that spawned the idea for her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, to blogger Julie Powell’s attempts to “master” the cookbook’s recipes in 365 days. After watching this film, I wanted to put my apron on and bake away the rest of the day.

To those kindred spirits out there who’d much rather clarify butter than shop for Dior, or sweat onions than decorate houses, “Santé!” Now, get out there and see the movie!

No comments: